Monday, March 9, 2015

Ordination of Nicolas - March 8, 2015

Yesterday (Sunday) Keith had a surprise in Priesthood meeting.  Nicolas, the brother of Tomas who was baptized Saturday (see other blog entry), received the priesthood and was ordained a deacon. Usually, the person to ordain the young man is asked ahead of time so he can get the total name (Nicolas has four names) and review the Spanish words used.  When it was announced in the meeting that Nicolas wanted him to do the ordaining, Keith was surprised, to say the least!  We assume that everyone thought that someone else was asking him and no one ended up asking.  He hadn't ordained anyone in Spanish for 50+ years -- not since his mission to Argentina when he was 19!

But he got out the Mission Manual (the book telling the mission rules and discussing how to do a variety of ordinances) to see what were the Spanish words for ordaining someone, and he was good to go.  The blessing after the ordaining was easy with his Spanish.

After the meeting I was waiting for Keith to come out of Priesthood meeting, and Nicolas came up to me and told me that Elder Stott (Keith) had ordained him, but I didn't understand his words except "priesthood" and "Elder Stott" so I just smiled and said "Felicitaciones" or "Congratulations."  I had to ask Keith what NIcolas as talking about. Sometimes (a lot of the time) my lack of vocabulary gets in the way of my understanding what people are saying to me!  Oh well, I am still learning.



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an appropriate response. Nice to see Elder Stott with all his vim and vigor!

    ReplyDelete