Friday, December 13, 2013

Early Spanish lessons



I have had several Spanish lessons with the Ramirez's.  I am moving forward very slowly although now I can greet people.  The sisters hug and kiss air at each greeting.  Elder Stott (Keith) seems to take all the Spanish in stride.  He understands everything (although he says he does not) and seems to reply to all with ease.  Not so with me.  I have to laugh at some of the things I have said.  One lady stopped me in the street and asked me something.  I told her "No habla espanol" which means that
"She doesn't speak Spanish."  She looked a little startled and left me alone.  Keith had to tell me what I had said wrong  Oh well, I will get better! 
This week we met the district president and got a challenge to work with family history to the district.  We are trying to see how we can do this so the branches will be self sufficient when we leave.  All the branches (there are seven in the district) are very small (they range from 25 to150 active members) so we are trying to develop several ideas with the Ramirez's to see what we can do.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
 
 We found the grocery store -- very small -- this is a small town, everything is small.  We found the cheese store and bought a white cheese that tasted pretty good, like the white cheese in Rancho Market in Mesa.  Some food is more expensive here than in Mesa, but that was expected. This is the heart of daily production in Chile and the milk prices are about the same as home.  We had spaghetti for dinner tonight and I used spaghetti sauce a bag.  A unique experience but I think I have found Chilean "Ragu"!  It was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment